Putting Words in Their Mouths: Dictogloss, Shadowing and Summarizing
Date: Sunday, March 16th, 2003 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:45 PM
Speaker: John Small, Kumamoto Gakuen University
This presentation will cover three activities that give students structured language practice: dictogloss (grammar dictation), shadow talking and summarizing. With dictogloss, students actively recreate the spoken text, discuss differences and missing information with partners, and participate in a review of the grammar of individual sentences. The presenter will also explain some variations on the standard dictogloss method. Finally, the presenter will provide extension activities that involve a picture story that corresponds to the dictogloss narrative. This series of extension activities give students the chance to master the vocabulary, grammatical structures, and pronunciation/intonation of a given narrative. Dictogloss narratives can be easily prepared and tailor made for classes of any level or interest. Shadow talking and summarizing exercises, which are easy to prepare and paperless, will also be explained. Shadow talking, which simply involves the repetition of spoken input, can be done out loud or silently by students. After explaining and demonstrating the basic method, the presenter will provide shadow talking warm-ups that can serve as a supplement to any lesson. Students are provided relevant vocabulary, shadow talk a narrative, summarize for their partners, then may give a similar talk based on their own experiences. Summarizing an article with a mind map will also be covered. Presentation materials come from the presenters self-published, non-profit, global issues textbooks.
Organization: Okinawa Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Okinawa JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Okinawa Christian Jr. College
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Okinawa JALT
Email QR Code:
Mobile phone: 098-895-8448
Mobile phone: 098-895-8304