Language Awareness and International Understanding through English
Date: Sunday, February 16th, 2003 Time: 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Kip Cates
This presentation introduces ideas for designing a content-based thematic unit on "world languages and writing systems". It argues that teaching about world languages can stimulate student interest in language, improve language learning motivation and promote international awareness while practicing English language skills. The presenter will demonstrate task-based EFL activities through which students explore language families, learn about world languages, recognize major writing systems, identify foreign languages when spoken and master basic conversational expressions in several world languages.
About the presenter: Kip Cates is an esteemed global education instructor for the MA TESOL program of Teachers College, Columbia University, Tokyo, as well as founder and coordinator of JALT's Global Issues SIG.
Organization: Hiroshima Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Hiroshima JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: International Conference Center 3F, Seminar Room 3, Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Hiroshima JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: