Building L2 fluency: knowing how to say what you want to say.
Date: Saturday, May 21st, 2005 Time: 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Brent Wolter
Fluency is one of the most coveted skills of foreign language learners. However, most of the current discussion on fluency centers on the notion of automaticity. Automaticity is the ability to subconsciously process language knowledge, and although it is certainly an essential component of any model of fluency, it is only one part of a larger and more complex puzzle. In this presentation, I will argue for a more comprehensive understanding of fluency that also takes into account the 'burden of expression' for speaking situations. Brent Wolter will then suggest how the teaching of lexical chunks and formulaic language can lower the burden of expression for students and, in the process, improve fluency.
Organization: Okayama Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Okayama JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Okayama Sankaku Building near Omotecho in Okayama city
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Okayama JALT
Email QR Code: