Two Presentations: Picture Books, Storytelling and Imaginative Learning; Native English Teachers - ideas for self introductions at elementary school
Date: Sunday, July 8th, 2007 Time: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Patricia Daly Oe, Irina Babanova
Picture Books, Storytelling and Imaginative Learning, Patricia Daly Oe.
In this presentation, author and teacher Patricia Daly Oe will discuss the value of using picture books and storytelling when teaching English to children (mainly from the pre-school to early elementary age groups but there will be some examples for older students as well). Following on from this, she will show practical examples of how to use picture books and storytelling techniques in small and large classes and for a range of linguistic levels. Themes covered will include: using stories for vocabulary development, creative activities inspired by picture books, rhythm and rhyme, making your own picture stories (students and teachers), famous Japanese stories in English and using stories for special events such as Halloween, Christmas or school performances. Patricia will use many examples of books by a number of different authors as well as her own materials and interactive activities to illustrate her talk.
Native English Teachers - ideas for self introductions, Irina Babanova.
An important problem in early foreign language teaching is what a foreign language is for the children themselves. Unless they live near a border or in a place attracting foreign workers or tourists, or holidays abroad, it is difficult for young children to grasp the reality of people who speak another language. One of the first steps in reducing the strangeness of a language is the self-introduction, letting students know something about us-their teachers, our country and culture. It is important teachers make students trust them from the very beggining. The speaker will demonstarte a selfintroduction lesson, giving a lot of practical ideas for your first lesson at school.
Organization: Saitama Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Saitama JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Sakuragi Kominkan, 5F (near Omiya Station, west exit,see map).
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Saitama JALT
Email QR Code: