Peace Love and Pragmatics
Date: Saturday, May 11th, 2002 Time: 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Michael Guest
Everybody would like their teaching to contribute to better human relations and mutual understanding. But how can we achieve this end without sounding preachy or abandoning our main role as teachers, that is, teaching language. Mike Guest believes that by increasing the emphasis upon including and noting pragmatic exchanges in lessons learners can come to see common human values at work and develop greater skills for reading between the lines of a conversation. In this presentation, Mr. Guest will provide several authentic samples for participants to discuss as well as an opportuntiy for them to create their own 'pragmatic' dialogues.
Organization: Okayama Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Okayama JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen, students 500 yen
Venue: Ai Plaza 4F
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Okayama JALT
Email QR Code: