The Prince and the Plumber: Recreating Folktales in the Classroom
Date: Sunday, April 21st, 2002 Time: 1:30 PM - 4:30 PM
Speaker: Robert Croker, Nanzan University and Bev Curran, Aichi Shukutoku University
The motivation and creative spark provided by hearing and attempting to retell folk and fairy tales make them a wonderful resource for exploring language and culture. In the classroom, these stories can be used to give students listening and speaking practice and cultural knowledge, while delighting their imaginations. This presentation will suggest activities that use traditional, revised, and unconventional folk and fairy tales in different media to develop language skills through storytelling, and raise a more critical awareness of some of the cultural assumptions embedded in these narratives.
Organization: Shizuoka Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Shizuoka JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Shizuoka Kyoiku Kaikan (next to Mr. Donuts, across from Shin-Shizuoka station)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Shizuoka JALT
Email QR Code: