JALT 2002 Conference Preview
Date: Sunday, October 20th, 2002 Time: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Simon Evans, International Christian University; Phil Julien, Bunka Women's Univesity; Paul Lyddon, Seigakuin University
In separate presentations, three local Omiya JALT members will give us a sneak peek of what to look forward to at the JALT 2002 conference in Shizuoka this November.
- Simon Evans: The Cambridge Young Learners Exams.
English is now being taught in Japanese elementary schools, but the issue of testing student ability has yet to be addressed. The University of Cambridge has recently developed a series of tests to measure proficiency in all four basic communication skills for students aged 7-12 years. This presentation will examine the nature of these tests and their constituent tasks and consider their appropriacy in a Japanese context. Particular attention will be given to the compulsory speaking interviews.
- Phil Julien: The Effects of Semantic Field and Depth of Processing on Incidental Vocabulary Acquisition.
Research has established that reading leads to considerable gains in vocabulary acquisition in both L1 and L2. However, to date researchers have concentrated on intentional vocabulary learning, with little attention being paid to incidental acquisition. This presentation will focus on the latter, specifically by exploring the effects of semantic fields and depth of processing.
- Paul Lyddon: Creating the Conditions for Real Communication
Many students, especially in large classes, show minimal oral proficiency gains because they only "practice" language without ever processing it in any truly meaningful way. In this workshop, pairs of participants will analyze and compare speaking tasks with similar objectives to determine what makes one more genuinely communicative than another. Later, they will devise strategies for increasing student involvement and try them out on a sample activity before sharing their thoughts with the other participants.
Organization: Saitama Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Saitama JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Omiya JACK, 5F, conference room #1 (near Omiya Station, west exit)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Saitama JALT
Email QR Code: