Putting Words in Their Mouths: Dictogloss, Shadowing and Summarizing
Date: Sunday, March 9th, 2003 Time: 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: John Small, Kumamoto Gakuen University
This presentation will cover three activities that give students structured language practice: dictogloss (grammar dictation), shadow talking, and summarizing. With dictogloss, students actively recreate the spoken text, discuss differences and missing information with partners, and participate in a review of the grammar of individual sentences. Shadow talking, which simply involves the repetition of spoken input, can be done out loud or silently by students. Summarizing an article with a mind map will also be covered. Presentation materials come from the presenter's self-published, non-profit, global issues textbooks.
Organization: Hiroshima Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Hiroshima JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Hiroshima City Plaza(about a 2 minute walk from Crystal Plaza towards Hondori) Seminar Room #C 6-36 Fukuromachi Nakaku Hiroshima Venue Tel: 082-545-3911
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Hiroshima JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: