Cross-Cultural Pragmatics in the English Classroom
Date: Sunday, April 6th, 2003 Time: 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Kate Elwood, Waseda University's School of Commerce
Much intercultural miscommunication occurs not because of problems with grammar, pronunciation, or listening comprehension, but rather because of cultural differences in communicative patterns. This seminar will introduce some ways of helping students become more aware of these differences. It is further hoped that discussion among the participants regarding their own experiences of cross-cultural confusion will generate additional insights as well as ideas for classroom application.
Note:Please make a reservation for attendance: email@example.com
Organization: Teachers College Columbia University Japan (TC Columbia)
Cost: free (but please pre-register)
Venue: Teacher's College, Columbia University Japan, Mitsui Seimei Bldg. 4F, 2-21-2 Misaki-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo (1 min. walk from the JR Suido-bashi Station)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact TC Columbia
Email QR Code:
Phone (work): 03-3221-9771