World Englishes: Convergence or Divergence?
Date: Sunday, April 20th, 2003 Time: 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Peter Trudgill, University of Fribourg, Switzerland
There are many intellectuals in Great Britian today who are worried about the future of the English language. It is very interesting, however, to note that these worries are of two different kinds. One concern is that English around the world is homogenising under the influence of American English. The other is that English is disintegrating into a number of mutually unintelligible varieties. These concerns can both be wrong, but they cannot both be right. Peter Trudgill's paper will attempt to resolve this issue.
Organization: Kyushu-Okinawa Chapter of the Japan Association of College English Teachers (Kyushu-Okinawa JACET)
Cost: JACET Members: free (optional reception afterwards: 5,000 yen)
Non-members: unknown (optional reception afterwards: 5,000 yen)
Venue: Seinan University, Building 2, room 202 (entrance opposite the library) Nishijin, Fukuoka City
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Kyushu-Okinawa JACET
Email QR Code: