Teaching Japanese Students Listening Strategies
Date: Sunday, April 25th, 2004 Time: 1:30 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Hiroko Hagino, Ph.D., Waseda Unviersity
How can we accelerate the process of improving listening skills of Japanese students through classroom instruction? One answer would be to teach the students "how to fish"(listening strategy) rather than giving them "a fish" (specific knowledge). The speaker will present some findings that she obtained through her doctoral research studies which focused on the understanding of lexical words that are key elements in the retrieval of information conveyed through speech, in non-interactive, transactional settings.
About the speaker:
Hiroko Hagino, Ph.D., obtained her MA in TESOL, and M.Ed. in Applied Linguistics at TC in New York City in the late 1970s. She has been teaching English at universities in Tokyo. She obtained her Ph.D. degree at Tokyo Gakugei University in 2000. Her publications include A Handbook for Teaching of English Pronunciation (Tokyo Shoseki), two EFL textbooks, Healthy Lifestyles and Changing Asia (Eichosha, Co. Ltd.) and the book based on her dissertation, Task Effects on the Development of EFL Listening Proficiency (Eichosha, Co. Ltd.)
Organization: Ibaraki Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Ibaraki JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Ibaraki University, Mito
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Ibaraki JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 0298-58-9523
Email QR Code: