TPR ? It isn't that simple. English only? Is it that simple?
Date: Sunday, July 4th, 2004 Time: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Chris Cuadra (Shokei University) & John Wiltshier (Sendai University)
We are probably all familiar with Total Physical Response activities but perhaps we are not so familiar with Asher's original theory and work on TPR as a methodology. And we are almost certainly even less familiar with what it feels like to actually be taught using TPR methodology.
This meeting will have two parts. First, Chris Cuadra will teach everyone using a language no-one is familiar with. For about 20 minutes we will experience firsthand how it feels for our students when we use only English in classes.
In the second part of the meeting, John Wiltshier will very quickly review the original TPR theory.
Finally the meeting will move onto a discusion of the limitations of TPR, the difference between 'input' and comprehensible 'input' and the desirability of 'English only' classes.
Organization: Sendai Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Sendai JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen (500 yen for students, but free their first time)
Venue: Sendai AER Building (just north of Sendai Station) 28F, Dai 2 kensyuusitu
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Sendai JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: