Using Whole Discourse Tasks for Language Teaching
Date: Saturday, January 21st, 2006 Time: 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Speaker: Deryn Verity, Osaka Jogakuin College
The word 'context' is used everywhere in the field of language teaching and learning, but what does it really mean? Whole Discourse Tasks require a learner to operate within several types of context at once; even low-proficiency learners can be helped to create contexts for their utterances. This seminar will introduce 3 different ways of looking at the importance of context in language teaching: discourse context, social context and psycholinguistic context. The focus will be on tasks that ask students to move beyond the word and sentence level of structure into levels of discourse, social setting and pragmatic function. Some practical examples of such tasks will be introduced, and seminar participants will be asked to create the outline of a whole discourse task as well. A very basic introduction to the Vygotskyan-oriented theory of language acquisition will be provided as a basis for the discussion of the importance of context in language use.
Organization: Kobe Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Kobe JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Kobe YMCA (2-7-15 Kano-cho, Chuo-ku, Kobe. tel: 078-241-7204)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Kobe JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: