Gender in Language; and Giving Peace Studies A Chance.
Date: Saturday, July 28th, 2007 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Clem Hiemstra, Sasebo/Imari, and Tim Allan, Kwassui Women's College.
Our summer meeting will be about Global Issues and Content-Based Instruction through two perspectives. In one half of the meeting, Hiemstra will guide us through a session on the topic of gender and language. Working in small groups, we will list some of the obvious examples where we can see gender at work in language, comparing the Japanese examples with the English ones, and then discussing some of our underlying values.
In the other half of the meeting, Allan will introduce some activities, rationales, and materials for local peace studies classes applicable for Nagasaki as well as for anywhere else. All welcome for our sixth meeting of the year! Please note that this meeting coincides with the weekend of the Nagasaki Port Summer Festival...and is our last meeting until October 14!
Organization: Nagasaki Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Nagasaki JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Dejima Koryu Kaikan, 4F (this is the large white building next to Dejima Wharf and Nagasaki Prefectural Art Museum; take #5 streetcar to Shiminbyoinmae stop, or take #1 streetcar to Dejima stop.)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Nagasaki JALT
Email QR Code: