West Tokyo JALT:
Astonishing Research: Opportunities, Discovery and Results
Date: Friday, July 27th, 2007 Time: 5:45 PM - 9:00 PM
Speaker: Andy Boon, Simon Stevens, and Urszula Clark
Professional development for EFL teachers: Aston University in collaboration with the JALT West Tokyo Chapter, the British Council, and Oxford University Press invites you to an evening of presentations exploring the topics of research, writing and distance learning.
17.45-18.00: Doors open
18.00-18.45: Distance learner support and discovery using IMCD
Andy Boon (Toyo Gakuen University)
Andy Boon will describe Instant Messenger Cooperative Development (IMCD) (Boon, 2005), an online tool which utilizes the MSN Instant Messenger service and Julian Edge's (1992, 2002) Cooperative Development discourse framework for professional development; he will then explain how ELT professionals use IMCD to interact together in a mutually-supportive and non judgmental way so as to gain new understandings about their current thinking and research.
19.00-19.45: Writing a dissertation
Simon Stevens (British Council)
In many MA programmes, students receive only some general guidelines on academic writing and little or no explicit teaching on this vital skill. Simon Stevens will give a practical account of the ins and outs of writing a dissertation and what he himself learned from the endeavour? with a view to supporting anyone currently writing, or planning to write a dissertation, or anyone interested in the research writing process in general.
20.00-20.45: New technologies and distance learning
Dr. Urszula Clark (Aston University, UK)
In recent years there have been tremendous changes in the methods and technologies for distance learning - for example, the use of email, VLEs, electronic databases of books and journals, and corpora. Dr. Urszula Clark will explore these, focusing particularly on the Aston Corpus Network (ACORN) project, and will relate them to the learning experiences of present-day students.
20.45-21.00: Closing remarks
To pre-register for the event, please email Andy Boon (email@example.com)
Organization: West Tokyo Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (West Tokyo JALT)
Venue: British Council, Tokyo. map
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact West Tokyo JALT
Email QR Code: