Project-based Learning in ESL
Date: Thursday, November 29th, 2007 Time: 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Speaker: Arifa Rahman, Dhaka University, Bangladesh
Encouraging learners to undertake projects in the English classroom on a variety of topics while using a range of resources provides opportunities for experiential learning. It puts the cognitive and the affective aspects of the learning process into gear. There is learner engagement, interaction and collaboration, and more importantly, self-directed action. This leads to the development of inquiry and the facilitation of autonomous learning, engaging the learner at a higher level of cognitive development.
Dr. Arifa Rahman is Professor of English Language and Teacher Education at Dhaka University, Bangladesh. With experience in course design, materials development, teaching, administration and research, she has several publications to her credit. Her interests are teacher development, materials writing and classroom-based research. Dr. Rahman has a PhD from the Institute of Education, University of London and is currently serving a second term as President of the Bangladesh English Language Teachers Association (BELTA).
Organization: Hiroshima Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Hiroshima JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Bluestone, 3-8 Hachobori, #502, 5F (In Popura building, across the street from Cusco Cafe)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Hiroshima JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: