Gender Equality: Teaching Beyond Grammar
Date: Saturday, May 10th, 2008 Time: 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Speaker: Stefanie Tacata
The inextricable link between language and culture is indisputable. ESL educators must understand that their responsibilities to their students are multi-faceted. They are not only teaching a language, but redefining their students' cultural paradigm. Their job reaches beyond grammar and vocabulary; manifesting into something much less tangible. Gender equality is a nuance of this manifestation, and therefore a significant component of teaching English. This presentation will provide a brief analysis of the international movement for gender equality, review current activities within the ESL and JALT communities that focus on gender equality, and provide examples of activities that might be useful within the classroom to promote gender equality awareness. The presentation will be based on scholarly articles, including many from JALT archives. Results of student surveys done at Baiko Gakuin University in Shimonoseki will also be presented. Although the control group is composed of university students, the presentation should speak to all educators, no matter what age or level they teach. As the world progresses into a more gender equalized sociopolitical era, so should our ideas of language and the way we teach it.
Stefanie Tacata is a full time lecturer at Baiko Gakuin University in Shimonoseki and a former lecturer of History at California State University, Fresno. She received both her BA and MA in History from California State University. She has presented research on twentieth century Cuban feminism at multiple conferences including the Graduate Symposium on Women and Gender at the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, and the Women as Global Leaders conference in the U.A.E. Stefanie plans to continue her research on feminism and gender studies, and enter a PhD program for international/cross-cultural education.
Organization: Kitakyushu Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Kitakyushu JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Kitakyushu International Conference Center, room 31 (a 5-minute walk from the Kokura train station for shinkansen, JR train)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Kitakyushu JALT
Email QR Code: