1. Actually Teaching Listening; 2. Teaching the Strategies of Speaking
Date: Sunday, January 27th, 2008 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Hugh Graham-Marr
1. This talk looks to examine how you can go beyond giving practice in listening and actually teach listening skills. Knowledge of script is something that can be taught that helps students with their top-down predictive skills. Teaching supra-segemental phonology helps students with their bottom-up decoding skills.
2. We all use strategies when we speak: to confirm or clarify what we're saying and what we're hearing, to show interest, to maintain and develop conversations, to help with fluency, to compensate for language we don't have. This talk will examine the whys of teaching strategies and at the sort of strategies that can be taught.
Organization: Hokkaido Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Hokkaido JALT)
Venue: Hokkai Gakuen University - Subway Building 6, 3rd floor
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Hokkaido JALT
Email QR Code: