Critical Approaches to Teaching Writing: Mindfulness and the power of 'no'
Date: Saturday, June 21st, 2008 Time: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Marlen Harrison
As "World Englishes" continue to dominate discussions of writing pedagogy, instructors ponder acceptable uses/performances of written language. In this lively discussion, we'll use Thich Nhat Han's Mindfulness Trainings as inspiration to consider L2 writing instruction and assessment, correcting student writing, and our identities as instructors.
Marlen Elliot Harrison is temporary faculty in the English Department at Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP) where he is also completing his doctoral studies in Composition and TESOL. Prior to IUP, Marlen spent 4 years teaching at Doshisha and St Andrews Universities in Western Japan and served as co-coordinator for the JALT Learner Development SIG.
Organization: Nara Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Nara JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Venue: Tezukayama University Gakuenmae Campus (JALT2004 Conference Site) Facing South Exit of Gakuenmae Station on the Kintetsu Nara Line
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Nara JALT
Email QR Code: