Phonetics and Phonology: A crash course in human language pronunciation.
Date: Saturday, July 12th, 2008 Time: 7:00 PM - 8:45 PM
Speaker: Jon Catanzariti, Ogaki Board of Education
Although we spend so long giving our students examples of native-English, why do they revert back to katakana-like pronunciation? The reality is that "listen and repeat" exercises only go so far as tools for ear-training? Intonation and pronunciation problems are two of the biggest barriers that stand between students and their requested goal of native-like pronunciation. In this presentation, Catanzariti introduces participants to the International Phonetic Association, the rules of phonation, the raw sounds of the English language, and discuss how we can utilise them in the classroom. He hopes everyone will gain insight into the mechanics of phonetics and learn alternative ways toward solving pronunciation problems for Japanese students.
Organization: Gifu Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Gifu JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Heartful Square (southeast section of Gifu JR Station), Gifu City, Gifu-ken
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Gifu JALT
Email QR Code: