What Do Your Students Really Think of Your Classes? Achieving More Effective Course Evaluations
Date: Sunday, July 27th, 2008 Time: 1:30 PM - 4:30 PM
Speaker: Christine Winskowski, Morioka Junior College and Susan Duggan, Iwate Prefectural University
Do you know what your students really think of your classes? Can you know this from conventional course evaluation forms? Are the course evaluation forms, which many colleges and universities make their students fill out, giving teachers accurate and meaningful feedback? If not, what can we do about it?
This workshop has two parts. In the first part, the presenters will bring up problems of standardized course evaluation forms with evidence from interviews with students. As students filled out a course evaluation form, they were asked, "What does this item mean?" and "Why did you choose that number for your answer?" We invite participants to comment on and discuss the surprising results.
In the second part of the workshop, participants will consider how to improve course evaluation forms and how to attain more efficient feedback from students about classes. The presenters will offer models and aids for meaningful course evaluation. Participants may use these to improve on course evaluation forms or think of alternative methods of evaluation. If you have a course evaluation form which you would like to discuss or work on, please bring it!
By the end of the workshop, participants should be able to think more critically about course evaluation, and determine more confidently the best way to elicit their own students' opinions and observations on their learning.
Organization: Iwate Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Iwate JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Aiina, 8th floor, Room 817
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Iwate JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 019-662-8816
Phone (work): 019-663-3132
Email QR Code: