Stimulating Conversation: Thinking Critically about Current Issues
Date: Saturday, September 27th, 2008 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Greg Goodmacher, Oita Prefectural College of Arts and Culture
For the seventh meeting of the year, Nagasaki JALT welcome back materials writer and teacher Greg Goodmacher. He explains that current issues lend themselves to activities that promote critical and creative thinking in English conversation classes. The presenter will demonstrate activities in a new textbook that guide students towards developing their own opinions, creating unique solutions to social problems, and expressing themselves in English. Stimulating Conversation: Thinking Critically about Current Issues was written for Japanese students who, in many cases, have never spoken in English about such topics as STDs, foreigners in Japan, morality, violence in our society, global warming, and educational reform. This presentation is made possible with the assistance of Intercom Press.
Updated information available at our two main websites, at our Nagasaki JALT and Friends Facebook Group site, and here in next month's e-mail newsletter. All welcome!
Organization: Nagasaki Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Nagasaki JALT)
Venue: Dejima Koryu Kaikan, 4F (this is the large white building next to Dejima Wharf and Nagasaki Prefectural Art Museum; take #5 streetcar to Shiminbyoinmae stop, or take #1 streetcar to Dejima stop.)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Nagasaki JALT
Email QR Code: