Presentation Zen: How to design and deliver compelling presentations
Date: Saturday, October 11th, 2008 Time: 6:15 PM - 8:30 PM
Speaker: Garr Reynolds
As a serious language educator, the need for strong presentation skills is inescapable. Join us for an evening with one of the world's most respected design and presentation authorities, Garr Reynolds.
Using the tenets of Zen aesthetics and the science of multimedia research, Garr explains how a good understanding of content structure, visual communication and the power of basic graphic design can help you create the kind of presentations that will set you or your organization apart from the crowd.
Garr will explore current popular presentation approaches; highlight techniques from some of the world's top business leaders, including Steve Jobs and Bill Gates, and turn conventional wisdom concerning PowerPoint and presentations on its ear. For example, Garr will show how to achieve maximum effect with minimum means, and how and why to design effective, engaging presentations without using a single bullet point. This presentation is not about decoration, but about the real application of design principles, improving communication, and increasing effectiveness.
About the Speaker: The former Manager of Worldwide User Group Relations at Apple Computer, Inc., Garr Reynolds currently teaches marketing and multimedia presentation design as an Associate Professor of Management at Kansai Gaidai University. Before joining Apple in the US, Garr worked for seven years in the head office at Sumitomo Electric Industries in Osaka. He is a popular speaker in the business community in Japan and abroad and is Director of Design Matters, an Apple Pro creative group based in Osaka. Garr is author of the popular website, Presentation Zen, and is author of the book also called Presentation Zen to be published in November by New Riders/Peachpit Press.
Organization: Osaka Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Osaka JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Osaka City Municipal Lifelong Learning Center, on the fifth floor of Umeda's Dai-2 Building, just southeast and across the street from the Hilton Hotel. Tel: 06-6345-5000
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Osaka JALT
Email QR Code: