East Shikoku JALT:
Mapping for EFL (part I): Mapping tools workshop
Date: Saturday, December 6th, 2008 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Lawrie Hunter, Kochi University of Technology
This workshop, part I of a 2-part series of workshops, begins with a brief overview of the variety of mapping types and mapping tools in use in education today, followed by a hands-on workshop on the use of (1) Hunter's infostructure maps and (2) Cmap Tools.
Hunter's infostructure maps are the underlying structure of "Critical Thinking" (Greene & Hunter, Asahi Press 2002) and "Thinking in English" (Hunter, Cengage 2008). Prereading is available here.
Cmap Tools have taken a solid hold in science education in many countries, primarily for use in representing learner's and instructor's perceptions of the nature of concepts, and have a number of other appealing applications for education. The tools themselves are free for download, and allow for free online storage and/or sharing. There is a growing online collection of maps at the Cmap website.
Participants who wish to bring their own laptops are encouraged to do so. Please be sure to have installed both PowerPoint and Cmap Tools (download Cmap Tools free from cmap.ihmc.us/download/)
Organization: East Shikoku Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (East Shikoku JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Kochi Women's University, Language Lab (in South Building), 5-15 Eikokuji-cho, Kochi City
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact East Shikoku JALT
Email QR Code: