An Online System for an Extensive Reading Program
Date: Sunday, January 18th, 2009 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Speaker: Mark Brierley
An online system has been developed to facilitate a university Extensive Reading programme that has been running for four years and currently involves two thousand students. For administrators and teachers, the system shows a record of what books students have borrowed, what they have read, whether and what they are enjoying reading, and the level of books they can read easily. For the readers, there are many potential benefits beyond an easy way to see how much they have read. An online system can involve the students in a reading community that transcends the walls of the classroom, in which they can see which books are the most popular and share their ideas about books. In the same way as online book retailers, the system can recommend books that readers are likely to enjoy, based on what they have read and what other students have read.
(Please note that the day and time may change. Thank you!)
Organization: Shinshu Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Shinshu JALT)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Shinshu JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: