Pragmatics and Communicative Competence
Date: Saturday, January 17th, 2009 Time: 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Megumi Kawate-Mierzejewska, Temple University Japan
This presentation will help participants become aware of issues in inter-language pragmatics (nonnative speakers' comprehension and production of speech acts and how their English and/or Japanese language-related speech act knowledge is acquired), focusing on cross-cultural differences in the use of language, as well as teaching pragmatics through consciousness-raising tasks while attempting to increase students ' learning motivation. First we will cover theoretical considerations, then we will talk about practical applications.
Organization: Okayama Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Okayama JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Sankaku A Bldg. 2F near Omotecho in Okayama City
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Okayama JALT
Email QR Code: