Getting Real: adding authentic communication to EFL classes through project work
Date: Sunday, January 11th, 2009 Time: 1:15 PM - 4:15 PM
Speaker: Michael Stout
According to Ogura (2008), almost half of the textbooks approved by MEXT for Oral Communication I classes in Japan contain less than one percent authentic communication tasks. Teachers seeking to help learners achieve communicative competence in English are forced to supplement the textbook. Project work is an excellent way to add authentic communication tasks to EFL classes. In this workshop the workshop leader will show participants model project frameworks, lesson plans, task worksheets, and examples of student projects. He will lead particpants step by step through the process of designing a project. By the end of the workshop, particpants will have produced an outline for a project that they can implement straight way.
For directions in English: yojalt.org/?page_id=212. For a map in Japanese: www.ecole.jp/3.html.
Organization: Yokohama Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Yokohama JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: The Yokohama City Education Meeting Hall (Yokohama-shi Kyouiku Kaikan)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Yokohama JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: