(1) Demotivators; (2) Questionnaire Construction and Analysis
Date: Saturday, February 21st, 2009 Time: 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Speaker: Keita Kikuchi, Waseda University
Two presentations will be given, one focused on more practical issues of how students are demotivated in language classrooms and what teachers can do about it, and one focused on research on how demotivators can be measured and analyzed.
Demotivators in English Language Learning
How can teachers help students to be more motivated to learn a foreign language? This is a question that many foreign language teachers ask themselves. Kikuchi identifies common demotivators based on the findings of several qualitative and quantitative studies of demotivation.
Questionnaire Construction and Analysis with Rasch, Factor Analysis, and Structure Equation Modeling
Kikuchi examines important steps in questionnaire development and the use of Rasch measurement analysis, and structural equation modeling for confirmatory factor analysis. Examples based questionnaires of demotivators will be discussed.
Organization: Fukuoka Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Fukuoka JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Fukuoka Jo Gakuin Satellite Campus, (9F), Tenjin 2-8-38, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Fukuoka JALT
Email QR Code: