Teaching Children Mini-Conference
Date: Sunday, May 24th, 2009 Time: 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Speaker: Mari Nakamura and Dr. Taka Ishii
Keynote Speaker: Mari Nakamura.
Title: Exploring the Power of the Picture Book-Based Curriculum in Young Learners' Classrooms
Good quality picture books have enormous potential as a tool for English language teaching. However, it often feels daunting to design a curriculum around a picture book. In this interactive workshop, you will first examine who children are as language learners, what sort of learning environment we want to provide to our children, and how picture books can support their learning. Then the presenter will demonstrate how to design a four skills program using a popular children's story as a springboard. By participating in the designing process and trying out several fun classroom activities, the audience will see the picture book-based curriculum in a whole new light.
Bio: Mari Nakamura, a popular children's author and co-author, has been giving numerous teacher training sessions all around Japan and writing educational articles while teaching young learners at her own school, English Square, in Kanazawa City. She is most well-known for her dynamic and practical workshops. She has earned the Postgraduate Diploma from the MSc in TEYL program at Aston University, and is volunteering as the ETJ Ishikawa Group Coordinator.
Keynote Speaker: Dr. Taka Ishii
Abstract: Dr. Ishii will present on common types of learning disorders affecting children, symptoms - what to look out for, forms of treatment, what happens if ignored. He will present in Japanese with a PowerPoint presentation in English at the same time. Handouts will be in English and Japanese. He is able to answer questions in English.
Bio: Dr. Taka Ishii is a psychiatrist at Sapporo Medical University.
Panel Discussion: Teaching Children
Host: Mari Nakamura
Target Audience: Parents
Organization: Hokkaido Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Hokkaido JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: JALT Members; free
Non-members: ETJ Members 500 yen; Others 1000 yen
Venue: Hokkaido International School
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Hokkaido JALT
Email QR Code: