Brain-based teaching and Learning-Centered Activities
Date: Sunday, June 14th, 2009 Time: 1:00 PM - 4:45 PM
Speaker: Curtis Kelly and MASH Collaboration
Kyoto JALT has together with MASH put together a half-day event focusing on brain-based teaching and learning-centered activities, with a keynote presentation on brain studies by Dr. Curtis Kelly, a poster session by five teachers and discussion circles for everyone. Brain studies give us a better picture of how learning occurs. A growing movement called "brain-compatible teaching" calls on us to develop teaching practices that focus less on language and more on how it is learned. In an updated version of his popular featured speaker JALT2008 workshop, the presenter discusses discoveries such as the roles of deep processing, sleep, interaction, body maps and emotion.
* 1:00 - Registration
* 1:15 - Keynote Presentation: "Brain Studies and the Science of Learning" by Dr. Curtis Kelly
* 2:15 - Break
* 2:30 - Poster Session: Five Teachers Share Learning-Centered Methods and Activities
* 3:30 - Break
* 3:45 - Discussion Circles: Issues and Action Plans
* 4:45 - Wrap-up and clean up
Organization: Kyoto Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Kyoto JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: 500 yen
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Aranvert Hotel Kyoto Subway Karasuma Line - Gojo Station) Map: www.aranvert.co.jp/access_e.htm
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Kyoto JALT
Email QR Code: