(1) Successful use of peer feedback in the L2 writing and speaking class; (2) How to set up the News English class: Resources and arrangements
Date: Sunday, September 13th, 2009 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Speaker: (1) Fuyuhiko Sekido; (2) Kazushige Cho
In this presentation, there will be two different topics related to L2 classroom, especially in university.
First, we will present some activities related to peer feedback both in writing and speaking. In writing, blog will be introduced as an efficient tool to enhance interaction and involvement among students. In speaking, peer feedback as a preparatory task for presentation projects will be discussed. Like these, we will introduce several approaches for speaking and writing, and some video scenes and students' survey result will be shown.
Next, we'd like to talk about some criteria that need to be considered in choosing newspaper materials – up-to-date, relevant to students' needs, vocabulary level, supplemental materials available, etc. and present some useful textbooks, online newspapers, and some tips to arrange such materials. Participants are expected to share their own ideas and activities in groups for better use of materials. We hope this presentation will be useful for your classes.
Fuyuhiko Sekido has been teaching English in Japan for more than 10 years, the last 5 years at universities. He completed his MA in American literature at Meiji Gakuin University in March 2000.
Mr. Sekido has been a part-time teacher at Rikkyo University since April 2006. His recent research interests include the effective use of literature in English education and practical methods for the language classroom. Kazushige Cho received his M.A. in Applied Linguistics (2005) from Georgia State University, Atlanta. At present he is a part-time at Keiwa College, Niigata University, Rainbow Language House (conversation school), and Takasaki City University of Economics, teaching L2 reading, writing, business English, presentation skills, and TOEIC. He is a member of JALT Niigata.
Organization: Saitama Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Saitama JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Sakuragi Kominkan, 6th Fl
Location: Saitama City, Saitama Prefecture, Japan
Add this to iCal
Add to Outlook
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Saitama JALT
Email QR Code: