Workshop: What is Harvard Graduate School of Education's Teaching for Understanding?
Date: Saturday, September 12th, 2009 Time: 6:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Speaker: Robert S. Murphy
What is "Teaching for Understanding"? What is the difference between 'learning ' and 'understanding'? How can I get my students to really understand what I am teaching them? How can I properly assess my students' understanding? These are just some of the questions that will be answered in this very practical workshop. Robert S. Murphy has an MA in TESL/TEFL from Birmingham U., and is certified from WIDE World, Harvard Graduate School of Education, in Teaching for Understanding (TfU), Differentiated Instruction, and Teacher Coaching. Robert has been working very closely with the staff at WIDE/Harvard in brining TfU to the Japanese classrooms. In this hands-on workshop, Robert will introduce the TfU framework, walk through examples of usage, and give participants the opportunity to design their own TfU units for their own classrooms. This will be a very theory rich yet highly practical workshop for anyone interested in sharpening their teaching skills and designing more coherent lesson plans.
Organization: ETJ Kitakyushu (English Teachers in Japan) (ETJ Kitakyushu)
Cost: ETJ Members: 500 yen
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Murphy School (in front of JR Onagawa station on Kagoshima line) www.murphyschool.com
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact ETJ Kitakyushu
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: