Functional Literacy and Contextual Learning Theories Applied to English Language Learning
Date: Thursday, November 19th, 2009 Time: 4:20 PM - 5:50 PM
Speaker: Amihan April C. Mella-Alcazar
Dr. Mella-Alcazar, who speaks six languages, will explain how the Philippines achieved its high level of English through the application of two theories of learning: the functional literacy theory and the contextual learning theory. She will use her own experience of learning Japanese to illustrate these two theories.
Amihan April C. Mella-Alcazar is the JALT Asian School for 2009. Since 2006, Dr. Mella-Alcazar has been Adjunct Professor for International Business and Asian Business Systems at the Asian Institute of Management, Southeast Asia's premier management school. She has also held Lecturer positions at top universities in the Philippines, namely, the University of the Philippines M.B.A. Program, the Ateneo de Manila School of Management, and the International Academy of Management and Economics M.B.A. Program.
Please note, this meeting will be held at Seinan Jo Gakuin University, Room 6206 campus map | access (how to get there)
(Co-sponsored by Seinan Jo Gakuin University English Department, as part of the Seinan Lecture Series)
Organization: Kitakyushu Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Kitakyushu JALT)
Venue: Seinan Jo Gakuin University, Kokura, Room 6206
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Kitakyushu JALT
Email QR Code: