The Communicative Value of English Discourse Intonation
Date: Sunday, December 13th, 2009 Time: 2:15 PM - 4:20 PM
Speaker: Yoshio Ido, Ehime University
The complete title of this event is The Communicative Value of English Discourse Intonation and Its Contribution to Teaching Spoken English, with particular reference to conjunction that. Yoshio Ido's talk is largely based upon a study of acoustic analysis of how the subordinate conjunction 'that' is realized by 25 subjects (Kio University, Freshmen). To be more specific, the way in which it is produced, is investigated in terms of 'PITCH' (Hz) and 'POWER' (dβ) by means of the VISA-PITCH. As a result, a wide discrepancy between Herz and Decibel in their speech was discovered, a result which leads to the lack of communicative value in the realm of communication. Yoshio Ido is Emeritus Professor at Ehime University
Organization: Matsuyama Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Matsuyama JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Shinonome High School Kinenkan 4F
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Matsuyama JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 089-946-0885
Phone (work): 089-931-6211