(1) Teaching the Strategies of Speaking; (2) Teaching Listening to Low-level Learners
Date: Sunday, January 17th, 2010 Time: 1:30 PM - 4:30 PM
Speaker: Alastair Graham-Marr
(1) Teaching the Strategies of Speaking: helping students with fluency, involvement, and clarification strategies
All of us use strategies when we speak. We use strategies to confirm or clarify what we're saying and what we're hearing. We use strategies to show interest, to maintain and develop conversations. We use strategies that help with fluency. Learners of English in particular use strategies to compensate for their lack of language. Helping students be aware of and learn to apply different communication strategies is both motivating and a knowledge they can put to immediate use.
(2) Teaching Listening to Low-level Learners
eaching listening effectively means teaching both phonology and knowledge of discourse. A working knowledge of the phonology of natural connected speech, elisions and liaisons, weak forms and reductions helps students with their 'bottom-up' decoding skills. Developing student knowledge of discourse, particularly of scripts (those discourses in English that tend to follow a set pattern) helps them with their 'top-down' predictive skills.
Organization: Hamamatsu Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Hamamatsu JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Zaza City Palette, 5th Floor
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Hamamatsu JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (work): 053-460-7956
Mobile phone: 090-9891-4844