ELT and the Science of Happiness: Positive psychology in the classroom
Date: Sunday, February 28th, 2010 Time: 12:30 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Marc Helgesen
Bonus Pre-session (12:30 pm-1:45 pm):
Join us to watch and discuss the PBS special, "Happiness 101," featuring Tal Ben-Shahar (formerly of Harvard), which introduces some of the science behind Marc's presentation. Feel free to bring a bento and have lunch as we watch.
Regular meeting (2 pm-5 pm)
Positive, motivated students -- engaged in what they are studying and with each other -- learn more. How do we facilitate that positive attitude in the classroom? This activity-based session looks at ways positive psychology (TIME magazine calls it "the science of happiness") can be combined with clear language learning goals for active, invested learning. This is more than "positive self-talk". It is sharing with our students the concrete behaviors that happy people engage in. We'll look at the set-point of personal affect and the tipping point of positivity.
Organization: Sendai Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Sendai JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen (Students - 500 yen)
Venue: Sendai Shimin Activity Support Center 4F - Seminar Room 5 (map)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Sendai JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: