Extensive Reading and ICT contents: Improving University Students' Reading Proficiency
Date: Sunday, February 28th, 2010 Time: 1:30 PM - 4:30 PM
Speaker: Natsumi Onaka, Iwate University
Iwate University has increased the number of programs in which their students can spend a year abroad, which is a part of the internationalization of their education. However, due to the lack of reading volume in English, many of the students still read English paragraphs very slowly, sentence by sentence. As a result, it becomes extremely difficult for them to obtain a high enough score on the TOEFL iBT, which is an acceptance requirement for the exchange programs at Iwate U's partner institutions.
In this presentation, Natsumi Onaka will discuss how she is developing a user-friendly program which combines graded readers and the pre-reading, post-reading, and speed-reading activities which are stored in a database on a server, applying the concept of e-learning. Since this program is in the process of production, positive questions and comments are welcome.
Organization: Iwate-Aomori Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Iwate-Aomori JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Aiina, Morioka, 6th Floor, Room 602
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Iwate-Aomori JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 019-662-8816
Phone (work): 019-663-3132
Email QR Code: