Giant Steps: The Project to Internationalize EIKEN
Date: Saturday, May 15th, 2010 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: M. Todd Fouts, Chief Editor, Test Development and Research, The Society for Testing English Proficiency (STEP), Inc.
(This presentation will be held on May 15 in Obihiro, and May 16 in Sapporo.)
I used to tell people, when I spoke to educators outside Japan, that EIKEN was the biggest test they'd never heard of. I can't use that line anymore. Over the past six years, acceptance of EIKEN scores by U.S. and Australian colleges and universities, and general interest in the test among international educators, has grown far beyond what any of us imagined possible when, in 2003, we launched a long-term project to introduce Japan's national English test to the international community. I'll tell you how we did it, why it's working, what it means for Japan, and how it involves the JALT community. I'll also debunk a few myths, expose a trade secret or two, and subject participants to a hands-on experience of the pain (and, perhaps, fun) experienced daily by the editors who prepare EIKEN test items.
Organization: Hokkaido Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Hokkaido JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Joy English Academy
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Hokkaido JALT
Email QR Code: