Examining Learner Autonomy Dimensions
Date: Saturday, July 24th, 2010 Time: 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Speaker: Jonathan Aliponga (Kansai University of International Studies, Craig Gamble (Kansai Gaida), Yasuko Koshiyama (Kansai University of International Studies), Keiko Yoshida (Kobe Gaidai)
Learners who take responsibility for their own learning, make their own choices and capable of self-reflection, are found to be successful learners. Unlike learners from the West, studies on learner autonomy revealed that Japanese students do not possess these characteristics. Holden and Usuki (1999) found out in their study that Japanese students are not autonomous learners. Although their study has provided valuable data on learner autonomy and the role of learning environment in shaping Japanese students’ capability to be autonomous, the study’s scope was limited only to six groups of four to five Japanese college students. It is the aim of the present research to validate the results of the study of Holden and Usuki by providing a larger sample size. The learner autonomy dimensions examined in this study are responsibility, ability and activity.
Organization: Kobe Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Kobe JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Kobe YMCA (2-7-15 Kano-cho, Chuo-ku, Kobe. tel: 078-241-7204)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Kobe JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: