Considering the effective English in the Japanese secondary school context
Date: Sunday, June 6th, 2010 Time: 1:30 PM - 3:30 PM
Speaker: Rintaro Sato
In the presentation, Professor Rintaro Sato of the Nara University of Education discusses how English can effectively be taught in the Japanese EFL (English as a foreign language) context. In this environment, learners do not often have an actual need for communication in English. It is rare for them to have exposure to English; rather, English is taught as a knowledge-based subject; some students study it for tests or entrance exams. In the presentation, the suitability of TBL (Task-Based Language Learning) and PPP (Presentation- Practice-Production) models in the Japanese school context and the effectiveness of PPP from the point of view of skill acquisition theory will be discussed. The presenter will also discuss effective teaching from other aspects, such as focus on forms vs. focus on form, learnersf motivation, TAP (transfer appropriate processing) principle and so on.
Organization: Fukui Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Fukui JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen (500 yen for students)
Venue: Open University of Japan Fukui Campus, AOSSA, 7th Floor
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Fukui JALT
Email QR Code: