Influences of Living Abroad on Individual Personalities and Identities
Date: Sunday, July 11th, 2010 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:45 PM
Speaker: Manami Tanaka
Using research cases as illustration, Dr. Tanaka will discuss the difficulties that people experience while overseas and share her own experiences during her stay in San Francisco. Dr. Tanaka will focus on the following three points concerning persons living abroad:
1. The issues that overseas residents have faced concerning language, culture, circumstance, and society.
2. How overseas residents' personalities have been changed: being more aggressive, positive, independent, and sociable.
3. How their identities have been changed relating to having more care for their families, becoming aware of one's Japanese-ness, and admiring Japanese culture.
Manami Tanaka is currently Assistant Professor at Tokyo Future University. She received her Doctor of Education in Multicultural International Education at the University of San Francisco in 1994. Her research interests include intercultural communication, intercultural education, identities, and Japanese American issues and culture.
Organization: Saitama Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Saitama JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Sakaragi Kominkan, Centre Plaza 6th Floor, Arts and Crafts Room (near Omiya Station west exit)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Saitama JALT
Email QR Code: