Cypris Society Workshop: Introduction to Virtual Worlds and Teaching
Date: Saturday, July 24th, 2010 Time: 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Speaker: Jean-Paul Duquette
Cypris Society's first workshop on virtual world language learning. We'll begin with an introduction to Second Life in which we'll show you how to register, log in, and navigate. We'll also be available for more advanced questions and be ready to provide tips and tricks to help you learn and understand the benefits of this way of teaching. We have thousands of hours of experience and we're ready to share it with you. We hope you can join us!
What are we going to do? We'll all meet at Digital Hollywood University in Umeda, Osaka at around 5:45. The workshop will start at 6:00. Here is a little agenda:
6:00 - 6:15 Introductions and Welcome
6:15 - 6:45 Presentation from our speaker (more info coming soon)
6:45 - 7:00 Break. Move to computers or login.
7:00 - 7:45 Hands on exploration of Second Life with help from assistants in both English and Japanese (if needed).
7:45 - 8:00 Closing remarks and announcements for the next meeting
8:30 - 10:30 Meet at a local restaurant or bar for socializing
The main purpose of this workshop and get together is to meet and learn about using virtual worlds and technology in the English learning classroom. The presentation is meant to be a time to prepare you for the hands-on section of the workshop. All of our workshops are practical and hands-on. We are not here to provide an academic forum but to show teachers how to teach with technology, specifically virtual worlds.
Once the presenter has introduced today's objective, we will have a short break. Each participant will have a computer. The presenter will guide participants through various tasks while the assistants help with questions. Both English and Japanese assistants will be available although we hope the workshop will be 100 per cent in English. We're English teachers, right?
After the workshop has finished we will meet afterward for drinks and conversation.
More info: cyprischat.org/elearning/, "Log in as a guest" for Cypris Society>>Workshop course
Organization: Cypris Society
Cost: 1500 yen
Venue: Digital Hollywood University, 6-5-17 Digital Eight Bldg. Osaka, Nishi Tenma Kita-Ku 530-0047
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Cypris Society
Email QR Code: