Theories of motivation and survey development in L2 research
Date: Sunday, August 22nd, 2010 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Keita Kikuchi
Many teachers use questionnaire to explore what they're interested in, especially, students' attitudes toward learning. The presenter will overview current theories of motivation, explain some of the common mistakes that researchers make in doing survey research, and describe methods for determining well grounded items. There will be some hand-on activities to construct questionnaire items together and understand the idea with other participants.
In the first session, the presenter will overview the currently popular motivation theories. In the second session, participants are expected to construct questionnaire items on motivation after they work on some activities such as interviews and discussion.
Kikuchi, K. (2009) Listening to our Learners' Voices: What Demotivates EFL High School Students? Language Teaching Research 13(4) 453-471.
Kikuchi, K. and Sakai, H. (2009). Japanese learners' demotivation to study English: A survey study. JALT Journal 31(2)183-204.
Sakai, H. and Kikuchi, K. (2009). An analysis of demotivators in the EFL Classroom. System 37 (1) 57-6
Organization: Shizuoka Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Shizuoka JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Kyouiku Kaikan (across from Shin-Shizuoka) in the basement (5-minute walk north from JR station)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Shizuoka JALT
Email QR Code: