Proofreading: Problems and Practice
Date: Saturday, October 16th, 2010 Time: 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Ian Willey and Kimie Tanimoto
Native English-speaking teachers at Japanese universities are often asked to proofread manuscripts written by colleagues in scientific fields. However, research has questioned the efficacy of "native checks" by language teachers on professional texts. The presenters will first describe an ongoing study centering on proofreading done by three groups of native English speakers on nursing abstracts. Different revision strategies employed by these proofreaders will be discussed. The second hour will follow a workshop format; attendees can explore their own revision strategies and attitudes towards proofreading and error correction.
Organization: Okayama Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Okayama JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Kibi International University Ekimae Campus 2-5 Iwata-cho, Kita-ku, Okayama-City map
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Okayama JALT
Email QR Code: