Adapting under stress: Surviving and succeeding in learning English
Date: Sunday, December 12th, 2010 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Joseph Falout
Learning English as a foreign language (EFL) in Japan can be described as compulsory stress. A test-driven system without practical purpose to use English decreases motivation and leaves students without meaningful goals. How do students avoid or survive such experiences and succeed? The presenter will use data from studies to show the developmental stages of adaptive and maladaptive coping processes regarding learning EFL, discuss the mindsets that can influence these developments, and suggest interventions for teachers to practice with their students for learning adaptive coping strategies to protect, increase, and maintain motivation to learn EFL.
Bio: Joseph Falout researches developmental motivational variables of teachers and students in EFL contexts. He is an associate editor of JALT's OnCUE Journal.
After the meeting, the Shizuoka JALT Chapter will have the annual end-of year-party at a restaurant nearby (reservations are not necessary).
Organization: Shizuoka Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Shizuoka JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Kyouiku Kaikan (across from Shin-Shizuoka) in the basement (5-minute walk north from JR station) map
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Shizuoka JALT
Email QR Code: