Active Participation through Student Response Systems
Date: Saturday, February 12th, 2011 Time: 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
Speaker: Bill Pellowe and Paul Shimizu
We can motivate students to stay focused in the classroom through student response systems (SRS) that require all students to respond simultaneously. Low-tech SRS include giving students "batsu-maru" paddles to show the teacher. In more complex SRS, students use remote "clickers" to send in answers. Regardless of the level of technology, SRS improve student concentration, and encourage an active engagement with the material.
In this presentation, first, Paul Shimizu and Bill Pellowe will demonstrate a low-tech student response system they've developed using simple, 2-sided answer paddles.
Next, Bill Pellowe will demonstrate a high-tech response system that he developed. With this free, open-source system teachers can easily create web-based quizzes and surveys for students to take on mobile devices such as iPod Touch, mobile phones, etc. Feel free to bring your iPhone or iPod Touch.
Organization: Kitakyushu Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Kitakyushu JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: 3rd Floor of the International Conference Center, Kokura
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Kitakyushu JALT
Email QR Code: