Behavior Management: Sleeping in class, playing with phones, teacher hair loss... arrgh!
Date: Saturday, March 12th, 2011 Time: 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
Speaker: Matthew Jenkins
Undoubtedly, the best way to engage students is to get them to enjoy themselves. However, despite all efforts, at all levels of education, there are times when some student plays up, messes with a cell phone, or has overdosed on karaoke the night before and is sleepy in class. As teachers, how should we deal with such situations? Matthew Jenkins will briefly discuss current theories to help teachers deal with inappropriate behavior. He will then elaborate on his own techniques at a university and a high school, and lead into a discussion of how others in the group deal with behavior in their own contexts.
Matthew Jenkins has an MA in applied linguistics, a business degree, and is currently completing his second MA in Teaching. He has taught at university, and currently teaches junior high school and elementary school children in the Kitakyushu area. He has more than ten years teaching experience. His hobbies include surfing, camping, martial arts, and travel.
Organization: Kitakyushu Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Kitakyushu JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: 3rd Floor, International Conference Center, Kokura
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Kitakyushu JALT
Email QR Code: