(1) Two Free Technologies for Improving Reading; (2) Applying Principles of Social Psychology for Better Classroom Management
Date: Sunday, September 11th, 2011 Time: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Leander Hughes (both presentations)
Two Free Technologies for Improving Reading
This presentation will briefly introduce two free programs that can help improve reading comprehension and enjoyability among students. The first program, LLEX, helps students locate and study unknown vocabulary in a text before they read it. The second program, ClipRead, re-formats texts to increase comprehension and reduce eye-strain. The presenter will discuss how he is putting these technologies to use in his teaching context and looks forward to feedback and further ideas from the audience.
Applying Principles of Social Psychology for Better Classroom Management
Whether or not your context is management-intensive, as an educator, you know there are times when it is crucial to help your students make certain choices about their learning. This presentation introduces several principles from social psychology which can help you help your students make the right choices about how they spend their time in your class. During the presentation, you may find that you have already effectively applied some of these principles in your classes without even being aware of it. Becoming more aware of these principles will help you employ them to even greater effect. After introducing each principle, we will share our experiences and ideas on how we have applied it or hope to apply it in our contexts. Leander Hughes is an assistant professor at the Saitama University Center for English Education and Development. He is interested in quantitative language research methods and in applying findings in current social psychology to the language learning context. His other interests include computer assisted language learning, learner autonomy, and communicative task effectiveness.
Organization: Saitama Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Saitama JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Sakuragi Kominkan 5th floor, Shiino Omiya Center Plaza 1-10-18 Sakuragicho, Omiya Saitama 330-0854
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Saitama JALT
Email QR Code: