Extensive Reading: Documenting Its Efficacy and Understanding How To Do It
Date: Saturday, November 26th, 2011 Time: 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Speaker: Beniko Mason
This presentation will report on the studies from 1997 to the present that investigated the effects and efficiency of comprehension-based methodology on EFL in Japan using Japanese university students. The results of these studies consistently show that the combination of free reading and listening to stories is not only an effective means of foreign language acquisition, but is also highly efficient. This presentation will also suggest some factors that will contribute to a successful and problem-free ER program.
Beniko Mason first began her ER program in 1984 in Japan. Her first question was whether ER was more effective than the traditional reading method, then whether it alone was better than the eclectic method, and finally whether reading alone was more efficient. She has also reported on how to start and set up an ER program, and what factors contribute to creating a successful ER program. Her publications are found at: www.benikomason.net.
Organization: Kobe Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Kobe JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Kobe YMCA (2-7-15 Kano-cho, Chuo-ku, Kobe. tel: 078-241-7204) Room 301
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Kobe JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: