Agent Day with Mary Kole
Date: Saturday, October 29th, 2011 Time: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Mary Kole (Andrea Brown Literary Agency)
This event will be in English.
- 10:00-10:30 Registration, Announcements and Opening Remarks
- 10:30-12:00 Three Things That Separate Aspiring Writers from Published Authors
This presentation will offer an overview of the children's book market as it stands today and a discussion of three vital things that writers must add to their craft portfolio before they can write their breakout book.
- Lunch Break
Lunch will not be served. Please bring lunch or join other writers and illustrators at nearby cafés.
- 1:30-2:30 Slush Pile Secrets: How to Catch an Agent's Eye With Your Query
Queries intimidate a lot of writers, but it's easy to get to the top of a slush pile if you write a great one. This talk will feature query examples from the audience, go over common mistakes, and show you how to write a successful letter. (See the SCBWI website for details.)
- 3:00-4:00 First Pages Open Critiques
Writers and author/illustrators are invited to submit the beginning of a manuscript to be read and commented on by Mary Kole. Novels: up to 150 words. Picture books: up to 100 words/first three spreads for a dummy. (See the SCBWI website for details.)
- 4:15-5:00 Final Q&A
Participants will have a chance to ask any remaining questions.
Organization: The Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) Japan (SCBWI)
Cost: SCBWI Members: 5,000 yen
Non-members: 8,000 yen
Venue: Yokohama International School
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Email QR Code:
Phone (work): 0467-31-6908